Mike Rea's Recovery Info & Updates

Mike's family created this blog to acknowledge our heartfelt appreciation for all your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes since his accident. Please check back regularly for updates on his condition and recovery process. We know all of you will keep Mike and his family in your prayers!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware

On June 16, 2006, Mike was doing what he loves most in the world~training a race horse! One minute, friends saw him go by at a full gallop. Thirty minutes later, he was found unconscious and barely breathing. Mike endured an emergency helicopter ride to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit where doctors determined he had suffered a severe brain injury and was placed in ICU in critical condition. After three weeks, Mike was transferred to Kernan Rehabilitation Center, then Sunbridge Care and Rehabilitation. He returned home in October ‘06 and continues to work on his recovery. We have experienced much hope and joy as we have witnessed Mike's miraculous journey towards recovery. Mike IS A MIRACLE (the exact words of his neurologist) and continues to surprise his health care providers. Mike faces each day with courage, faith and perseverance; his new job consisting of physical therapy and theraputic riding. Mike is currently undergoing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and is experiencing great progress! FOR THOSE WHO HAVE OFFERED ASSISTANCE, A "MIKE REA RECOVERY RELIEF FUND" HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED TO HELP WITH MIKE'S MEDICAL AND DAILY NEEDS.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Taking An Opportunity To Thank You

I am at the hospital and Mike is sleeping peacefully after a meeting with his speech and physical therapists (they gave him an "A" on progress!). It occurred to me that I have not taken the opportunity to thank the people who are helping me with this blog, distribution of flyers and organization of the Ford Mustang raffle: Check this out!

Alex Brown - thank you for sharing your expertise and making my very fundamental blog easier to read and locate! Sheilagh Barndollar and Scott Zelt - for coming up with and organizing the raffle, Kevin Titter for your incredible artwork with the poster! Sherene Bracho - thank you for your hardwork in the distribution of "who knows how many" flyers around the many race tracks to help Mike's friends and loved ones stay informed! Last, but not least, a huge thank you to Sally Goswell of Fair Hill. Without your gracious donation of time and energy acting as a collection location and central information gathering spot, I doubt we all could be pulling this together! Thank you to the Maryland, Delaware, Philadelphia and Pennsylvania Horsemen's Associations for your help and thank you too for the trainers who are posting a link to Mike's blog on their personal websites spreading the word of Mike's accident and our efforts to help.

The pride I have always had in my brother has grown twofold (if possible) since his accident. I once was told during a crisis in my life that I was actually fortunate because I was being placed in a position where I would find out who my true friends really where. It was a true statement! And Mike is now in such a position. His family are overwhelmed at the incredible number of Mike's true friends who are stepping forward on his behalf. One day soon, I know Mike will be overwhelmed too.....and for this I am forever grateful!

Nancy Rehm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com