Mike Rea's Recovery Info & Updates

Mike's family created this blog to acknowledge our heartfelt appreciation for all your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes since his accident. Please check back regularly for updates on his condition and recovery process. We know all of you will keep Mike and his family in your prayers!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware

On June 16, 2006, Mike was doing what he loves most in the world~training a race horse! One minute, friends saw him go by at a full gallop. Thirty minutes later, he was found unconscious and barely breathing. Mike endured an emergency helicopter ride to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit where doctors determined he had suffered a severe brain injury and was placed in ICU in critical condition. After three weeks, Mike was transferred to Kernan Rehabilitation Center, then Sunbridge Care and Rehabilitation. He returned home in October ‘06 and continues to work on his recovery. We have experienced much hope and joy as we have witnessed Mike's miraculous journey towards recovery. Mike IS A MIRACLE (the exact words of his neurologist) and continues to surprise his health care providers. Mike faces each day with courage, faith and perseverance; his new job consisting of physical therapy and theraputic riding. Mike is currently undergoing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and is experiencing great progress! FOR THOSE WHO HAVE OFFERED ASSISTANCE, A "MIKE REA RECOVERY RELIEF FUND" HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED TO HELP WITH MIKE'S MEDICAL AND DAILY NEEDS.

Friday, August 18, 2006

An update from the other sister...

I'm filling in for Cathy because she has friends visiting tonight. Still, she wouldn't leave Mike until 8:30 and called me from her car to tell me about Mike's day. He had two visitors today and I'm told they were great. One was Bobby Witham, Mike's friend from many years ago (those Camden, SC days!) and J. B. Secor, a fellow trainer that he sees at Penn National often and a good friend. Mom took pictures and now that I have figured out how to share these with everyone, they will be posted soon. Mike's "good night" phone call to Rochelle was touching as always and if weather permits, she and the children will visit tomorrow. Cathy said Mike's therapies went well today too. He spent a good 5 minutes on the stationary bike and even lifted a few weights. Mike's agitation has been replaced with confusion and I don't know which is worse. This is hard for him and for all of us because we see how it worries him so. We all find comfort from those of you who share your experiences with us and know that this too shall pass and as Cathy said, is part of the healing process. Mike's "Recovery Book" is getting thicker and thicker from all the well wishes! Sometimes when he and I are talking, I'll read a bit to him. He loves to hear the encouraging words but I can only read a few at a time because he will get so emotional (the good kind of of course). I'm planning to bring the book with me the end of the month when I visit and will call it Part One. Tonight, I asked Mike if there was anything he wanted me to say since I was blogging for Cathy and I know I don't possess Cathy's gift of expression. He said, with a great deal of emotion, "Tell everyone I thank them for their interest in me and my family and for their prayers. I am looking forward to the future." Good night new friends....

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great words from Mike - He has much to look forward to in the future - What a great and loving family you have...

So many people are interested and sending good wishes to you, Mike - Keep up the fight.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, you're an inspiration to us all! You just concentrate on getting well and going home!

Mike's family - you all are amazing as well! Keep fighting with Mike - you'll get him home safe & sound!

Love to all of you!

-Julie

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike and Family,
I like to come see how you are every evening and send my good wishes. I love the picture of Mike with the 2 horses on the front of the photo album. Keep up the faith and the hard work and we believe in you all. What a great family.
Best from Chicago.

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lMike,
You are in my prayers and remember that God is with you always, talk to him and give him your worries and fears, he will help you. You are doing so good any man that loves horses, like you do is a great person so just be patient with your self, your "brain will learn again" to do all things.

To Mike's family

This is what family is for. To support one another. Life is a journey good and bad, rely on each others strengths and in God.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AM SO PROUD OF THE HORSE COMMUNITY FOR COMING TOGETHER IN THOUGHTS, PRAYER, AND SUPPORT FOR MIKE. I SAW HIM TWO WEEKS AGO, AND THE DETERMINATION IS THERE. MIKES FAMILY HAS BEEN SO WONDERFUL. MY PRAYERS ARE WITH HIM.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike - I hear you are feeling confused, angry, happy, sad, agitated ...... I hear you. Your brain is just trying to put everything in place.... sort of like trying to put together a 2,000 piece puzzle... takes awhile.

Really good thoughts to you Mike ... and to your entire family! Sounds like you have a great and loving team!

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful photo album. In every single picture, the love just shines through. What a beautiful, wonderful family. Loved the photo of Mike & Angel, too...you can see how much they mean to each other.

Mike...we were so happy to see how well you look in your pictures! You have come such a long way in a short time. You just continue to amaze us with your strength & courage.

Prayers to Mike and all his family.

~ Lani & family

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com