Mike Rea's Recovery Info & Updates

Mike's family created this blog to acknowledge our heartfelt appreciation for all your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes since his accident. Please check back regularly for updates on his condition and recovery process. We know all of you will keep Mike and his family in your prayers!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware

On June 16, 2006, Mike was doing what he loves most in the world~training a race horse! One minute, friends saw him go by at a full gallop. Thirty minutes later, he was found unconscious and barely breathing. Mike endured an emergency helicopter ride to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit where doctors determined he had suffered a severe brain injury and was placed in ICU in critical condition. After three weeks, Mike was transferred to Kernan Rehabilitation Center, then Sunbridge Care and Rehabilitation. He returned home in October ‘06 and continues to work on his recovery. We have experienced much hope and joy as we have witnessed Mike's miraculous journey towards recovery. Mike IS A MIRACLE (the exact words of his neurologist) and continues to surprise his health care providers. Mike faces each day with courage, faith and perseverance; his new job consisting of physical therapy and theraputic riding. Mike is currently undergoing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and is experiencing great progress! FOR THOSE WHO HAVE OFFERED ASSISTANCE, A "MIKE REA RECOVERY RELIEF FUND" HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED TO HELP WITH MIKE'S MEDICAL AND DAILY NEEDS.

Monday, July 17, 2006

What a Day

Mike started out good this morning with breakfast and therapies. By the afternoon he became very tired, worn out, and agitated. His blood pressure went sky high along with his heart rate. Medicines were given for the blood pressure and the agitation. Next thing we knew an EKG was being done for the increased heart rate. Thank God it was normal and Mike was resting well by the end of the evening. During this confusion he had a visitor. Bruce Miller his good friend and owner of a lot of the horses Mike has trained. He called my mother later to make sure Mike was doing okay. Around 9PM Lifetime had a movie on and Mike and I sat and watched it. He was really into it because he started telling me what was going on and what was going to happen next. That mind of his and his hearing is unbelievable. There were previews of tomorrow nights movie and he asked me could we watch that one tomorrow night. Of course I said yes. So it ended up to be such a good day in all. This should be it for tonight. Will update you tomorrow night. Continuous thanks to everyone for their prayers and messages.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A message for Mike... starting physical therapy can seem like there's too far to go... let me share a story. I broke my wrist a year ago, had surgery. As a professional guitarist it seemed like a huge mountain to climb back.

On the first day of PT I was worried it would hurt, and I could hardly move anything. The therapist said something I never forgot... she said, "All this is, is the place you're starting from. That's ALL it is."

That helped me take the 1st baby steps and on to bigger steps. I hope this helps you, and that you have good results in your physical therapy.

PS Some of the therapists are adorable... don't tell your wife! Good luck! --SH

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,

In the process of checking websites for updates on Barbaro (I have been praying every day for his recovery), I read about your accident and your recovery process so far. I want you to know that I will be praying for you and hoping you will be getting better each day. I have been amazed at how many wonderful, caring, and compassionate people there are who are sending thoughts and prayers for Barbaro and for you. Please keep the faith Mike and never give up! I was very moved by the picture of you and the two horses on this website. I can tell how much feeling is between you three! It's a beautiful photo; and I can tell you are a wonderful person. The eyes tell so much - yours and those incredible horses. I wish you the very best in your recovery. I will keep you in my prayers.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com