Mike Rea's Recovery Info & Updates

Mike's family created this blog to acknowledge our heartfelt appreciation for all your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes since his accident. Please check back regularly for updates on his condition and recovery process. We know all of you will keep Mike and his family in your prayers!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware

On June 16, 2006, Mike was doing what he loves most in the world~training a race horse! One minute, friends saw him go by at a full gallop. Thirty minutes later, he was found unconscious and barely breathing. Mike endured an emergency helicopter ride to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit where doctors determined he had suffered a severe brain injury and was placed in ICU in critical condition. After three weeks, Mike was transferred to Kernan Rehabilitation Center, then Sunbridge Care and Rehabilitation. He returned home in October ‘06 and continues to work on his recovery. We have experienced much hope and joy as we have witnessed Mike's miraculous journey towards recovery. Mike IS A MIRACLE (the exact words of his neurologist) and continues to surprise his health care providers. Mike faces each day with courage, faith and perseverance; his new job consisting of physical therapy and theraputic riding. Mike is currently undergoing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and is experiencing great progress! FOR THOSE WHO HAVE OFFERED ASSISTANCE, A "MIKE REA RECOVERY RELIEF FUND" HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED TO HELP WITH MIKE'S MEDICAL AND DAILY NEEDS.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

8 more for 1000 Signatures

Hello everyone. I was really hoping for 1000 by now but it's alright. We will all survive. Mike enjoyed his weekend overnighter very much. I have his bathroom done now. The extension bars worked wonders. They really do work. I even got his 5 year old son, Hunter to hang and swing on them and they held in place. A friend of theirs is putting in a hand rail up the staircase Tuesday. A comment/message that had been left about making Mike a bed downstairs I need to address. Believe me, we have tried to suggest this, but Mike won't have anything to do with it. He wants upstairs in his bed with his wife and family all around him. Can't really blame him. He will be only going up the stairs once daily anyways and coming down on his bottom step by step. He still needs to be spotted for anything out of his wheelchair. Like going to the bathroom, taking a shower, or going from wheelchair to bed, couch, chair, using the walker or showing off standing. Like we have said before, Mikey is very strong willed and pig headed and he is going to pretty much do what he wants to do at this point and time.

Sunbridge has been a Godsend but they have done all they can do in their area of expertise. They are just not equipped or trained for a traumatic brain injury patient to continue with his recovery there. They can and have made recommendations to his caretakers. They can't enforce what they have recommended though. Mike is following his heart. He doesn't have the intellect or cognitive skills to do or know the difference or know what is best for him. It has only been four months since his accident and two of those months Mike hardly even moved in the hospital bed and it was dead weight to move him also. He really has only been in therapies for a good two months. He is a miracle and has a very long road ahead of him. Of course Mike will continue with physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy somewhere else for a very long time. We just have to wait for the insurance to come through and for him to get accepted to another program. Hopefully that will be in the next 30 to 90 days. There are two places that we are looking at. We are hoping that he will be in a program that he goes Monday through Friday for several hours a day.

So guys it looks like a will be going home soon also. I will miss my brother so terribly much and worry constantly about him. It is going to be so emotional. I can already tell because I am crying as I am typing this. But I guess it is called tough love and you have to do it sometime or another. Believe me, I will be keeping tabs on him. Doctors insisted on my mother going home so she would be able to be there for Mikey in the future. On a good note ya'll. Mikey has an office in his loft upstairs. He wants to get it all cleaned up and set up. He wants all of his pictures of Barbaro and others up on the walls, and his other things he has collected around him put there. He also said he wanted to write on his blog and email everyone that sent him a card. I explained to him that he couldn't email them but I would give him all the web addresses that he would need. So don't be surprised when Mike Rea starts typing on Tim Woolley's site and in the forums. I know ya'll will jump with joy and respond. Nancy and I will continue with the blog, Extreme Home Makeover nomination, and fund raisers. I'll be back from time to time to see my brother. Nancy is already checking on flights to come this weekend maybe to help set up his office area. I asked her if it was just a thought or a wish and she said no that she was serious. So...........Maybe I'll get some company before I return to North Carolina. Hey, I'm about to freeze here. It is still in the 50's to upper 60's there. I had a total of 26 weeks off and I think I have only used 16 to 18 weeks. The doctor that Mike sees Thursday has to give the okay for Mike to make the Breeders Cup White Horse Award trip to Kentucky. The flight and activities might be too much for him, but we'll see. I'll let everyone know.

Just to let everyone know, seriously I have never in my lifetime met such compassionate, loving, helping, generous and (can't find the words right now) people. I also know I probably never will again either. I do know that God will bless everyone for all they have done for us and my brother. Especially Barbaro for letting Mikey into everyone's heart. Their both still in that race to recovery and I know in my heart they both will win. God bless you all.

WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES
WE BELIEVE IN BARBARO
WE BELIEVE IN MIKE REA
WE BELIEVE IN THE FANS OF BARBARO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com