Mike Rea's Recovery Info & Updates

Mike's family created this blog to acknowledge our heartfelt appreciation for all your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes since his accident. Please check back regularly for updates on his condition and recovery process. We know all of you will keep Mike and his family in your prayers!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware

On June 16, 2006, Mike was doing what he loves most in the world~training a race horse! One minute, friends saw him go by at a full gallop. Thirty minutes later, he was found unconscious and barely breathing. Mike endured an emergency helicopter ride to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit where doctors determined he had suffered a severe brain injury and was placed in ICU in critical condition. After three weeks, Mike was transferred to Kernan Rehabilitation Center, then Sunbridge Care and Rehabilitation. He returned home in October ‘06 and continues to work on his recovery. We have experienced much hope and joy as we have witnessed Mike's miraculous journey towards recovery. Mike IS A MIRACLE (the exact words of his neurologist) and continues to surprise his health care providers. Mike faces each day with courage, faith and perseverance; his new job consisting of physical therapy and theraputic riding. Mike is currently undergoing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and is experiencing great progress! FOR THOSE WHO HAVE OFFERED ASSISTANCE, A "MIKE REA RECOVERY RELIEF FUND" HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED TO HELP WITH MIKE'S MEDICAL AND DAILY NEEDS.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Water Therapy Starts Tomorrow

Hello everyone. First off, our prayers continue for the magnificent Barbaro. He has had another set back and he really needs everyone's prayers.

I talked with Mike Friday and today. Again he sounds good and is very excited about starting his water therapy. This is really suppose to help with his balance and walking recovery. He still uses his cane but could hardly wait to tell me that he walked without it around his family room(den). It says he has to go really slow but did do it without his cane.

What I love and admire so much about my brother is how hard he keeps trying to recover and overcome everything. He will never give up I know. Ya'll watch. He'll be walking before the one year mark is up. Let's see, it has now been 7 months since his accident. Mikey said that it really irritates him that sometimes his legs and arm just won't do what he asks them to do. But he doesn't let it get him down thank God.

Nancy and Mercy have sent everything back in to Extreme Home Makeover and we are patiently awaiting to hear back from them again. The casting director said we had plenty of time and what will be will be. Well I'll go with that. Just remember to Believe. God bless everyone.

WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES
WE BELIEVE IN BARBARO
WE BELIEVE IN THE FANS OF BARBARO
WE BELIEVE IN EXTREME HOME MAKEOVER
WE BELIEVE IN MIKE REA

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike & family -

We haven't forgotten you all. I think of you daily. The last few days have really kicked everyone in the stomach.

Mike, hope all goes well with the water therapy. I'm so glad that you are continuing to make great progress!! Keep it up!

Will keep my fingers & toes crossed for Extreme Makeover!

Take care - love to you all.

Julie Z.

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,
I surely hope the water therapy will help you. I know I have heard o it's benefits from my sis that is a nurse, said it is of great theraputic value. It is much easier to accomplish more with the weightlessness in the water. Prayers for you to remain strong.

I am amiss for not checking on you lately. Barbaro's euthanasia has gotten all us FOBs sorta in a real bad way.Sad and depressed. I hope you and your extended family are coping with our tremendous loss, of our Big Ole Boy.(my pet name for Barbaro)

I am extemely excited to hear the news about the folks from Extreme Makeover contacting you guys!! OMgoodness! It is gonna happen, you just wait and see!! I know you will all be so much more comfortable and at ease when these formalities are through. Man, I cannot wait to see ya'll on TV! I am so happy you are doing better Mike!

BELIEVE IN MIRACLES
BELIEVE IN MIKE REA
BELIEVE IN BARBARO'S SPIRIT

Love to you and extended family,

Dora J Crow
Montgomery, Alabama

1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to shake your hand in person at Delaware Park. You were surrounded by your family, and FOB's which was so nice to see. It was great to hear your speech, to see that you've made such progress.
Keep up the great work, Mike. Our prayers are with you.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com