Mike Rea's Recovery Info & Updates

Mike's family created this blog to acknowledge our heartfelt appreciation for all your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes since his accident. Please check back regularly for updates on his condition and recovery process. We know all of you will keep Mike and his family in your prayers!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware

On June 16, 2006, Mike was doing what he loves most in the world~training a race horse! One minute, friends saw him go by at a full gallop. Thirty minutes later, he was found unconscious and barely breathing. Mike endured an emergency helicopter ride to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit where doctors determined he had suffered a severe brain injury and was placed in ICU in critical condition. After three weeks, Mike was transferred to Kernan Rehabilitation Center, then Sunbridge Care and Rehabilitation. He returned home in October ‘06 and continues to work on his recovery. We have experienced much hope and joy as we have witnessed Mike's miraculous journey towards recovery. Mike IS A MIRACLE (the exact words of his neurologist) and continues to surprise his health care providers. Mike faces each day with courage, faith and perseverance; his new job consisting of physical therapy and theraputic riding. Mike is currently undergoing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and is experiencing great progress! FOR THOSE WHO HAVE OFFERED ASSISTANCE, A "MIKE REA RECOVERY RELIEF FUND" HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED TO HELP WITH MIKE'S MEDICAL AND DAILY NEEDS.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My Brother Just Amazes Me

Hello everyone. Today has been great and Mike is still so determined to beat this thing. He works so hard at all of his therapies and tries so hard at mastering his wheelchair. What really amazes me so much is him telling me that he is confused and his brain is not letting him think straight or knowing that his brain is not letting him remember what he was just about to ask me. He will sit there and say, "Okay brain, lets get it together now."

Rochelle called on her way home from soccer practice tonight with the boys. My mistake, but Jesse, the 12 year old is also playing soccer. I had wrote about Hunter, the 5 year old being a natural at soccer but didn't realize Jesse was playing also. Mike gets so emotional when he talks to them on the phone. But at the same time if you could see that look on his face of such pride and love for them. He told Rochelle that he loves and misses her so much and that he couldn't wait until they lived together again. Mike really wants to go home so bad. To look at Mike you can't tell that there is anything wrong. Most of the time when you are talking with him you can't tell either. He has a lot of physical therapy to do. The legs, arms, and whole body have got to get the right signals from the brain to work properly. He gets to do his walking in physical therapy. Soon I hope we will get to help him walk around the halls. I see parents like on each side of their child holding their arms and walking them for hours. I know this has got to help them get stronger and stronger quicker. So when that time comes I will let you know about it for sure. His children will be starting school soon. Then comes the homework in the evenings. I heard Mike tell Rochelle he would help her with their homework. Like I said he just amazes me.

I see that Barbaro is doing well also. Such hero's and champions these two are. Since Mike has been with horses all his life I figure he must have some of that strong horse blood running through him. From what I understand one of Mike's horses ran a race the other day and WON. A friend of his is taking care of his horses. I think his name is Jimmy Connors. Of course our sister, Nancy would know the details, but it is too late to call her right now. I'll find out and let ya'll know. Mike has started on his journal and has also started on his message to Barbaro. He wants me to help him so he can get the message to Barbaro soon. I told him to think of some more thoughts tonight and we would work on it tomorrow. So with that good night to everyone and keep up all the messages, prayers, and candles to our boys. I know all of this is really helping both of them. God bless you all.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have to do it all "one step at a time", pretty soon there will be a whole line of steps. God Bless and Keep Mike and family.

~Deb in NE

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Mike and family!

It's wonderful to hear how well Mike is doing. Mike and Barbaro, getting better day by day.

I think the air and the water at Fair Hill must generate miracles in its residents!

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

Keep fighting! You're going to win this one!! Take it one day at a tine and it'll all fall into place. You'll be home with your family before you know it!!

I also know you're pulling for Barbaro - and I'd put money on the fact he's pulling for you, too! :o)

Take care, Rea family! Much love and strength to you!

-Julie Z.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike:
I stop in every now and again. I hope its okay.

I'm learning a lot about racehorses (I rode for fun as a teen) from Tim's website.

I guess something I learned from Barbaro is you can give in and you can give out but you never ever give up. Dr R didn't give up even when it was so bleak in July. And Mike I wish you could have seen those entries. People came in that night and had comforting stories to tell about life after "L". I learned that maybe there was hope. To not just throw in the towel.

And the Jackson's have been beyond wonderful in all of this. They have supported Dr R and Barbaro. They didn't give up because Barbaro hadn't given up.

I don't know if you can watch tv (maybe CBS will get you a tape or something) but today they showed a long clip of Barbaro and Dr R. I gotta confess I think the board went crazy! Barbaro tried to nip the news lady cause she put her hand under his muzzle with no carrot. Barbaro didn't like that. So he tried to take her hand. It's was funny.

What was warming to me was Dr R was like "please don't tease him" or something like that. Things I remember being taught way back as a teen. Glad to know some things haven't changed.

And watching Barbaro try to pull Dr R off his feet was fun. I think Dr R has really fallen for this horse. But that's just between you and me!

I hope you don't mind me popping in and out. Sometimes its hard to know if you're being intrusive or something. I just know I want to respect your privacy.

Next time I come home to the east coast perhaps I'll be able to visit. But that would have to be your choice and your families.

Take care Mike. I get to go back to work next week. I've been off all summer and got my house CLEANED!!!!

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will be so good when you can walk with your family in the halls.It might take a little time, but keep working in physio and don't give up.

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com