Mike Rea's Recovery Info & Updates

Mike's family created this blog to acknowledge our heartfelt appreciation for all your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes since his accident. Please check back regularly for updates on his condition and recovery process. We know all of you will keep Mike and his family in your prayers!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newark, Delaware

On June 16, 2006, Mike was doing what he loves most in the world~training a race horse! One minute, friends saw him go by at a full gallop. Thirty minutes later, he was found unconscious and barely breathing. Mike endured an emergency helicopter ride to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit where doctors determined he had suffered a severe brain injury and was placed in ICU in critical condition. After three weeks, Mike was transferred to Kernan Rehabilitation Center, then Sunbridge Care and Rehabilitation. He returned home in October ‘06 and continues to work on his recovery. We have experienced much hope and joy as we have witnessed Mike's miraculous journey towards recovery. Mike IS A MIRACLE (the exact words of his neurologist) and continues to surprise his health care providers. Mike faces each day with courage, faith and perseverance; his new job consisting of physical therapy and theraputic riding. Mike is currently undergoing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and is experiencing great progress! FOR THOSE WHO HAVE OFFERED ASSISTANCE, A "MIKE REA RECOVERY RELIEF FUND" HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED TO HELP WITH MIKE'S MEDICAL AND DAILY NEEDS.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Hello Again from Mike and Family!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone. Please bare with me because it takes very long for me to post. I am using a land line and it is sooooooooo slow. Mike is doing very well. He loves Sunbridge and gets a kick out of the fact that he is the youngest patient there by many many years. Sunbridge has one wing that is dedicated to rehabilitation. All of his therapists are working very hard with Mike because his will to fully recover, his positive attitude, and faith are contagious. He told Nancy tonight that he has faith and knows that it is God’s plan to heal him but that he must plant the seeds and work hard with the therapists so in God’s time he will reap what he sows. They talked for hours because they both missed each other so much. Yes, Nancy is here. She actually left last night and drove to Raleigh for fear the weather coming in might keep her from flying out. I went to the BWI airport to pick her up today and they are so strict for arriving flights that the police women wouldn’t let anybody wait to pick up passengers. I had to drive around the loop about ten times until Nancy could get her luggage and come out. Finally she did and I pulled right up and then had no problems. As you can see, the weather has kept me from leaving yet. Maybe tomorrow sometime I’ll take rent a row boat to get back to NC! Mike was so excited and overwhelmed to see Nancy and to hear that I wasn’t leaving. We’re a family together again even if for a few days. Bruce Miller was there visiting when we arrived. He is such a good friend of Mike’s. Rochelle and the children have enjoyed visiting also. The other patients enjoy the children, especially baby Gracie. Rochelle was holding her going down the hall and stopped because an elderly lady was admiring her. Gracie bent right down and gave her a kiss. It was so positively sweet. The children are in school during the week but try to come every evening. They love their daddy so much.

Mike’s sense of humor and quick wit are coming back. He had us in stitches again tonight making jokes about nearly everything. We all laughed so hard our sides really hurt. He stated to me as I was transferring him from his wheelchair to his bed, “Cathy I just don’t understand why I can’t walk or get my feet to do right.” Then Nancy said, “Maybe because they’re the farthest from your brain.” Then he said, “Maybe I’m getting better from the top then down.” Seriously since he has become used to Sunbridge and settled in there has been a lot of laughter.

When Mike was at Kernan and during his agitation state, Nancy was the only one who could calm him down. She would rub his head and tell him to think of a beautiful relaxing place. They would close their eyes and together describe a grassy meadow with a Carolina blue sky and white fluffy clouds. Mike would say “and the grass is thick and green” and then Nancy would say “there is a soft breeze blowing again your face” and Mike would say “there are horses running in the distance” and so on and before you knew it, he would forget about being upset. Tonight, Nancy asked Mike what he wanted to do tomorrow. He said, “walk barefoot in the grass.” We all fell silent and felt his sadness of missing the simple things in life. Nancy wants to take Mike outside tomorrow weather permitting and let him take off his shoes and let him feel the grass. I hope it does not rain!

I know this post is already long but there are so many things I want to let everyone know about. Just one more for tonight guys. Mercy you are angel sent from God to help us help Mike in anyway we can. What you and the Barbaromaniacs are doing on TWR’s site is awesome. For those of you who haven’t seen Mercy’s proposal for Mike’s nomination to Extreme Home Makeover, please visit Tim Woolley's Racing and look under Discussions and Chats, then under Barbaro for A Barbarion’s Response to Mike Rea or under Mike Rea and Extreme Home Makeover Nominations. Here is part of her email that she sent to Nancy and what made us all realize this could happen: “I first saw about Mike’s unfortunate accident (which occurred on my birthday) on TWR’s site while checking for Barbaro’s updates. As a result, I wanted to read more about Mike and went on your site where I found out his favorite song was “I can only Imagine from Mercyme, another coincidence. While attending Mass, the sermon was about the fish and the loaves, giving and sharing, & we should do the same - give something to someone that you don’t expect anything in return….so I sent my donation. I dropped it in the mail box, got in my car & turned the key, immediately Mercyme came on – “I can Only Imagine”….I took it as God’s way of saying He noticed a small good deed. The following Sunday night my daughter & her family came over for dinner & she turned the TV on to Extreme Home Makeover – and then I knew…..your brother immediately came to my mind. I told Danah (my daughter) then, “This is it – this is what Mike Rea needs and I have to get involved and the reason why I became entranced with Barbaro in the first place”. We’re working on the application this weekend to go with the letters from everyone! Will keep everyone posted of our process. Believe in Miracles- Believe in Barbaro- Believe in Mike’s Recovery. God bless everyone and thank you for your patience with the lack of postings lately. Good night and continue your prayers for Mike and Barbaro on their recoveries.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all love to hear about your days Mike & Family! Thank you for posting... anytime you can.

Judy in IL

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wonderful post!! make them as long as you want! I feel like you guys are my neighbors since I live in NC (Greensboro) and grew up in SC. When I was a little girl we used to visit the training barns in Camden all the time. I have two older sisters and they are just like you guys, if something happens they are right there no matter what.
Please tell Mike hello from just another person that cares.

april

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike. so glad you are happy in your new location and closer to family. The Extreme Home idea is so I exciting. I read about it on Tim's Forum, and am waiting for the particulars on sending an E-mail/letter nominating you and your family. You are always in my prayers as God completes your miraculous recovery.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura in Key West:

I couldnt help but think of this when you were talking about Mike wanting to be outside with his feet in the grass. North Carolina is one of my favorite places. Cirumstance brought me here, but my love and heart live there. I hope he knows how lucky he is.

So here, this is for you Mike, James Taylor said it best

Carolina In My Mind

In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina
Can't you see the sunshine
Can't you just feel the moonshine
Maybe just like a friend of mine
It hit me from behind
Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind

Karen she's a silver sun
You best walk her way and watch it shinin'
Watch her watch the mornin' come
A silver tear appearing now I'm cryin'
Ain't I goin' to Carolina in my mind

There ain't no doubt it no ones mind
That loves the finest thing around
Whisper something soft and kind
And hey babe the sky's on fire, I'm Dyin'
Ain't I goin' to Carolina in my mind

In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina
Can't you see the sunshine
Can't you just feel the moonshine
Maybe just like a friend of mine
It hit me from behind
Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind

Dark and silent late last night
I think I might have heard the highway calling
Geese in flight and dogs that bite
Signs that might be omens say I going, going
I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind

With a holy host of others standing 'round me
Still I'm on the dark side of the moon
And it looks like it goes on like this forever
You must forgive me
If I'm up and gone to Carolina in my mind

In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina
Can't you see the sunshine
Can't you just feel the moonshine
Maybe just like a friend of mine
It hit me from behind
Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the great progress--you must be lighting up the lives of everyone in the new facility. All are praying for you and yor family! Great to hear from you!
Pepper in MD.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We Barbaromaniacs continue to lift you and your family up to God for complete healing. May God keep you under His wing and bring you good health, happiness, and days filled with love and hope and faith.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,
Gld to hear you are doing better. A sense of humor is one of the best things to have when you are recovering froam a traumatic injury. Keep you spirits up and keep laughing!

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, Happy Birthday! I pray you are recovering and healing. Enjoy your day.

Healing and Peace,
Lyn Gilbert

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mike! My wish for you is a full recovery and a return to home with your loving family. I will continue to keep you in my daily prayers. Take care, Mike!

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com